Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 10: Labor of Love

I have been largely focusing on the mechanics of making this quilt in my blog entries, which was not my intention. I meant this blog to be about the journey this quilt takes me through mentally and emotionally. It's not that I am not thinking about the person this quilt is intended for or that I am not feeling the love I have for this person... or I want them to feel through the warmth of this quilt. Honestly, I am feeling so much that I don't quiet know how to express it. A part of me feels like making this quilt is symbolic of saying goodbye. While I know that's really not necessary yet, I feel this sense of loss. Piecing and pressing a quilt is very time consuming and gives you LOTS of time to think and reflect. That has been the hardest part.... I am remembering secret hamburger recipes and woodworking projects and I am crying. Word to the wise: Don't cry on your quilts while pressing, tears leave a mark. I don't want to have to hang on to these memories just yet, I just want to make more. Whoever said, "it's a labor of love" most definitely was talking about quilting. It is a laborious process that exhaust you mentally, physically and sometimes emotionally. But not only is it hard work, it is a expression of the love you have for the quilt recipient. You do all this work to show someone how much you love them and hope that they feel that love every time they wrap themselves in your gift. But it is more than just that... it is a sacrifice of oneself to another, someone special. All to say, "I love you."

No comments: