Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 1: The Fabric Store

Today, I took a trip to Joann fabrics in Brookfield, Wisconsin to get fabric for my special project. I had an idea of what I wanted, which was a nonprint (not excatly solid) purple and yellow fabrics. The quilt is for a older gentleman. Most print fabrics are not mascilne at all and if your lucky enough to find one, you generally have a hard time finding complementing fabrics that aren't just solids. So I wanted to stay away from them... not to mention trying to balance print sizes.



I found the Keepsake Calico collection fit the bill perfectly. Both the purple and yellow are tone on tone. I also got some Quilters Choice 100 % cotton in white for the signature portion of the blocks and white thread. I skimped and bought a general use thread rather than the recommended 100% cotton because it was cheaper.



I over bought a tad as there were reminants on two of the bolts after I got what I needed and I wanted to give plenty of room for shrinkage. Fabrics tend to be shrinking more lately. When all was said and done, I ended up with the following for $30.70.



White->1.375 yd.

Yellow (Crackle Lemon)->3.67 yd

Purple-> 3.806 yd.

Guterman 1000M thread

No comments: