Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 2: Cutting

After ironing the purple and white fabrics, I decided to start cutting the fabric. I really have not flat surface to lay anything for any length of time so the fabric would be easier to manage if it didn't take up a lot of space. I sat down and counted out what I needed of each size, shape and color and came up with the following:


(29) 6.5" x6.5" Yellow Squares

(30) 6.5" x 6.5" Purple Squares

(32) 6.5" x 6.5" Signature Blocks
----(32) 6.5" x 6.5" White Squares
----(64) 5.5" x 5.5" Purple Squares


I started by trimming the raw edge on the top of the fabric to even it out.

Then cut strips of 6.5" x length of fabric of white fabric and further divided it down to 6.5" x 6.5" squares.



I cut all 32 of the white squares and started on the 5.5" x 5.5" purple squares. I started with these pieces because they are pieces of the only block I am piecing. All other blocks are just solids and once I cut them, nothing else needs to be done to them before I put them into the quilt top.

I hope to have all these pieces cut tomorrow and hopefully, the purple border. I think that I may have underestimated how much purple fabric I needed because I was counting on using a shortcut, which would minimize the amount of fabric I waste. However, it would make placement of the triangle portions of the siggy block difficult and more time consuming. SO, I need to get all the purple cut ASAP to determine if I need more before they run out at the store. I did end up getting a tad more than I needed of the purple because it was the end of the bolt (and 50% off) but I don't know if that extra is going to be enough :(

No comments: