Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Beautiful Life

I am sorry to say that this beautiful quilt was for my Uncle Hilton Alexander who was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer in mid-2010. It was a rare form and by the time it was discovered, there were few treatment options. When I learned of his illness, I wanted to make him something that would tell him how much he means to me. I worked on this quilt from June until September... and it went in the mail October 6, 2010 in preparation for his first treatment on October 22nd. I must say, I have NEVER completed a quilt in such a short amount of time. Unfortunately, the quilt arrived a little too late.



Uncle Hilton experienced a stroke while the quilt waited to be picked up from the post office. He died just over a week later on October 23, 2010. I am told that he regained consciousness and saw the quilt but due to his condition, he never was able to comment on it. I hope that the quilt brought him some comfort in those last few hours and my aunt as she now tries to move forward.


Dyson Lykowski, Meryl and Hilton Alexander (May 2010)

No comments: