Friday, June 22, 2012

UFO-Donation Quilt

Awhile back, I posted a log of all of my UFO's. It's really been bugging me that I have so many unfinished projects and I refuse to start new ones until the only ones are done. So when my quilt guild issued a UFO challenge where you provide a list of your UFO's then get an entry for a prize pack for each UFO you finish this year... I jumped on it.

Because of the requirements, only some of the projects on my UFO log qualified. Those that did are 1) The Little Gem (currently missing after move) 2) Donation Quilt 3) Log Cabin Star 4) Dan's Airplane Quilt 5) Scrappy Happy 6) Christmas Lone Star 7) Country Americana 8) Galaxy Quest BOM 9) Black, White and Bright Block Swap 10) Red, White and Blue Block Swap and 11) Mariska's Tulip Pinwheel Quilt (started since UFO log post).

When I started looking through the UFO's to find a beginning point (since The Little Gem is missing), I wanted something that would be fairly easy to finish so I would feel a sense of accomplishment and be motivated to keep working. I landed on the Donation Quilt. It just needs quilting... I have previously machine quilted this quilt but when I turned it over, the quilting looked like swastikas. That was not acceptable to me so I ripped the whole thing out and that's how it landed in the UFO pile. Seems simple enough right?! So that's where I started. It took a few days but I decided on a quilting design that is pattern but not like the stars in the quilt. I found it on Quilting-Tidbits.com. I ended up marking the quilt incorrectly as I worked from the center down the quilt. The result is not noticeable and I have decided to leave it as this quilt is no longer a donation, the event passed. I will hold on to it and pass it to someone who would appreciate it, I just don't have anyone in mind at the moment. It's not quite done because I had to stop and work on something else more pressing (see Dyson's Weighted Blanket post) but will return to it soon. I am determined to finish this quilt.

Continuous quilting as it appears on the back of the quilt.

Up close look at the quilting on the front of the quilt.

I hopefully will have this done by the end of June and will be able to mark another UFO off the list.

No comments: