Monday, August 20, 2012

Red, White and Blue Block Swap


After spending hours working on my Donation quilt... I ran out of quilting thread. I am a bit broke so I decided to put it away for a bit and work on something else that I have everything for.

At the guild meeting in July, I won the Block of the Month contest. It was a 7.5 inch Four-Patch Star. The requirements were that it be red, white and blue.
Four-Patch Star BOM
These new blocks are perfect to help me finish my Red, White and Blue Block Swap quilt. I had envisioned this RWB Block Swap to be LARGE so I could take it to sit on while watching fireworks on the 4th of July. I wasn't sure how I would finish the block swap quilt because they are a mixture of bolds/brights and reproductions. I typically would not use reproduction fabrics because I like bright colors but that's the beauty of swaps is it forces you out of your comfort zone.

Blocks I received from Red, White and Blue Block Swap.
I decided to put the swap blocks together with a white lattice to help separate the blocks that were of different tones.  I added cornerstones to break-up the overwhelming amount of white and I like how it spaced out the blocks giving the quilt more size.

Block swap with lattice.
I got two blocks (1 from each event) that really didn't fit with the others.  I've decided to include them on the back of the quilt.  They are below.
Odd ducks.
I am planning to use the BOM stars as a border around the swap blocks with some red or blue borders.  Stay tuned to see how it turns out.

No comments: