Sunday, January 10, 2021

Quilting Design Board

While designing the Flannel Quilt for my Dad (#7 on my UFO list and my only HSY), I found that I needed a space to arrange and rearrange the blocks to finalize the quilt top design. I really miss my quilting design wall and decided that it's something I need to enjoy the quilting process. 

My attempt to play with quilt designs on my tiny ironing board.


The Quilting Design Wall/Board that I had previously was created following the blog post by Diary of a Quilter By Amy Smart. My ex-husband had a problem putting holes in the wall so my design board leaded against the wall in two different houses. What I disliked about it was that 1) we could never get the flannel pulled tight against the board so it sagged, 2) the more I pulled the fabric, the more the insulation would warp/bend and didn't stand up, and 3) it was a pain in the butt to move. It was such a pain to move that when I left the marital home and moved stuff into my storage unit, it got seriously damaged and I put the whole thing (fabric and all) in the garage bin. 

This time around, I did a TON of internet searching and found this post by Alanda Craft using an artist canvas. I love the idea because there's more structure to a canvas' than I had with the insulation and it'll be easier to move by using a few small canvas sections rather than a whole wall sized piece. I decided to purchase (4) 30" x 40" Canvas' and cover each in white flannel. I feel like I scored a deal because I bought the Canvas' when Michael's was running their BOGO Free sale on canvas. I also decided to use an adhesive spray to help me stretch/stick down the fabric on the canvas and purchased a cheap staple gun from Joann's. It worked as easy as the blog post showed it too... seriously this was NO Pinstrosity! It worked perfectly.




 

I love the result! They aren't hung on my wall yet, but will be when I am able finish the redesign in my bedroom/quilting room. I am enjoying being able to drag the canvas' into the kitchen where I am currently quilting. But when I have to clear the table for distance learning/working, I can take the project back to my room for storage while keeping my progress on the movable design wall.






No comments: